Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Struggles

I've dealt with depression for years, both with and without medication. Somehow, no matter what drugs I'm taking or not taking, I get hit with a bout that I just can't shake about every 15 months.

Right now, I'm not on any medications. I stopped them in January after their effectiveness was just not there. We (my doctor, husband, and I) decided it would be worth a trial run without them. I do have a one month supply stashed if I should need to start back on them, but so far so good.

Until the last six weeks or so.

I've been feeling off. I try to do things out and about with my kid, try to keep my house clean, try to just live my life, but I feel off. I can feel myself being isolated. Now, the tricky part is figuring out if it's all in my head, if I'm unconsciously isolating myself, or if other people are isolating me for whatever reason. It's all happened to me before. The challenge is that when I'm slipping, I can't tell the difference. I know it's happening but I can't figure out the cause. In turn, that makes it even harder for me to pull myself back out of the depression. It's all a cycle, and it sucks.

So I've been isolated. Despite trying my hardest not to be, I am. Nate's noticed it, and he's trying to figure out how to deal with me when I'm like this. So far the most effective method has been him just flat out telling me, "Hey, you're being crazy." I hate it when he calls me crazy, so I think it's dramatic enough in its simple way to stop me in my tracks and help me get myself together.

 You see, I have something called dysthymia. It's not as severe as many forms of depression, but it lingers. On and on and on. I think part of the curse of it is that since it isn't as severe, you can tell something isn't right. You KNOW you're messed up and you're powerless to stop it. There are therapies, medicinal and not, that treat it. I'm trying a nonmedicinal form, and it's more successful than not.

This is just a rough patch. But hey, at least I know it's happening and I can do my best to plow through it.

There's an old saying that if you wag a dog's tail, you'll make it happy because of the association with tail-wagging and happiness. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what I'm trying for myself.

Honestly? It's working a little bit better every day.

No comments: