Saturday, June 1, 2013

I'm *that* Mom

So tonight has been the first time since before my kid was born that I've been home alone. I begged and pleaded and my darling husband finally took the kid out without me so I could be home alone. I've done nothing but play computer games since I upgraded my graphics card this week. It's been a glorious evening.

Yesterday evening was a graduation party for my friend Jill, who finally completed her bachelor's degree. It was a great time, and I think I earned the title of "That Mom."

You see, it started raining. We were at a park, so mud puddles formed quickly. The bigger kids (ages 4-7) started playing in the puddles. Of course, I let Addy join. I had the means to dry her off and make her comfy in the car, it was hot as hell outside, and I thought it'd be funny. Ultimately she was drenched head to toe and got herself, me, and everyone she came in contact with muddy. And she giggled, laughed, and squealed with delight the entire time.

That's right, I let my 18 month old play in a mud puddle until she was a mess. And I laughed with her.

Mud puddles are AWESOME.

I also let her eat a brownie AND a cookie. She also ate real food, and I think she realized what a treat those sweets were because I've never seen her actually savor food before.

As far as parenting goes, I decided while I was still pregnant that I was just going to roll with it and do things the way that felt right to me. I do some research, chat with other parents, and then go with what feels like the best fit for my family. This has led to a very difficult age in child rearing actually being fun. Yes, she still has epic drama queen meltdowns if I put the wrong shoes on her, but that's what toddlers do. They freak the eff out over everything. They're starting to form their own little opinions and still lack a good way to express them. You'd be frustrated and prone to melt downs, too if you hadn't developed good communication skills.

So there you have it. My kid has eaten junk food and played in mud puddles. And we loved every minute of it.

No comments: