Friday, October 15, 2010

I have never met my mother-in-law. I've only ever heard her voice on a voicemail she left for Nate for his birthday. I've never seen a picture of her.

Long story short, she hasn't been involved in Nate's life since he was 15ish. For a reason I'd rather not get in to right now.

Nate's brother recently made contact with her again. She knows Nate is married, but that's about it. She knows my name. She has no idea what I look like, or even what her youngest son looks like now. Nate wants to call her, but for a myriad of reasons, he can't make himself do it. So, I got her address. Pretty easy considering I already had her phone number. I want to send her a letter and a few pictures of me and Nate. I know the things I want to tell her, the things I want to ask her, but I'm struggling with how to word it all and work it all out.

I also need to pick some good pictures to print out and send her.

If you're wondering, yes, Nate knows what I'm doing. I wouldn't deceive my husband, especially over something that is so directly involving him.

So..what do I do? "Hey Joyce! I'm the daughter-in-law you didn't know existed until recently! How've you been?"

I'll figure it out. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's writing letters.

No comments: