Sunday, February 17, 2013

Balsamic & Onion Pot Roast with Roasted Red Potatoes

I found a recipe for Balsamic & Onion Pot Roast indirectly on Pinterest. It was linked on a blog I found via Pinterest, and it is quite possibly the best pot roast I've ever had. I tweaked the recipe a very tiny bit, and my husband ate most of a 3lb roast in one sitting. (yeah, it's that good).

Here's the Link: Kalyn's Kitchen: Balsamic and Onion Pot Roast

What I changed was minor and can be ignored, but I kinda forgot to decant part of the fat from the broth at the end, but I had trimmed the roast very well, so there wasn't really any to decant.

Also, I used a 5qt cooker and 8 hours was a touch too much. Next time I'm pulling it at 7 hours.

I paired her pot roast with roasted red potatoes, and here's what I did with those. I cooked these for just the two of us with plans for leftovers, so adjust as necessary:

6 medium red potatoes, diced in medium to large chunks
3 tablespoons of butter
1/4-1/2 c fresh chopped parsley
salt to taste (optional)

In an 8x10 glass baking dish, put 2tbs of butter in the bottom of the pan.

Put the pan in the cool oven, and turn it on to 350 degrees to pre-heat. After 3-5 minutes, just as the butter melts, pull the pan out.

Put in the potatoes, and stir them to coat in the melted butter. Add the parsley and a little bit of salt (if desired) and stir/toss them some more.

Make sure all the potatoes are very well coated. Put back in the oven for about 45 minutes, checking it fairly frequently after 40 minutes. I've made these 100 times and they cook for a different amount of time every time.

Test them by poking one with a fork. The potatoes should be sturdy enough to be poked with a fork, but starting to get soft. If it's tough to poke the fork in, wait another few minutes and check it again.

Depending on your personal preference, here is where the 3rd bit of butter comes in. Sometimes I leave them in to where they're starting to get just a touch dry. If this is the case, add that last bit of butter and mix well. That extra butter will help soften them back up and make them extra tasty.

TIP: leave the skins on the potatoes, they're tastier and prettier that way.


No comments: