Friday, February 8, 2013

Columbus MetroPark Love

I absolutely love the Columbus MetroParks system. I've loved it as long as I can remember. I still love it even though I nearly stepped on a black rat snake down in Three Creeks that one time. Yup, I nearly stepped on a snake and I still love my park system.

To me, exercising isn't the boring crap in a gym. Seriously, push ups and weight lifting and running suck. They're boring. To me, exercising is being active outdoors. One of my favorite things to do in the world is to hike in the woods. Be it an easy paved trail through the parks, or a more rustic trail, I love it. Every week, weather depending, I've been heading out to a MetroPark and hiking around with the kid strapped to me in her carrier. It's the FatAss Momma version of backpacking. Sometimes it's a short 30 minute trek, sometimes longer, but I always have fun and Addy has started looking around and being interested in the things around us as I walk. My goal is to hike at least 1 trail in every single MetroPark. So far, I've done all of the trails except for 2 in Blendon Woods, and yesterday I went up to Highbanks and hiked part of two trails. It was muddy and getting dark, so I only got a 2.2 mile loop done.

I love it. Absolutely love it. I'm looking forward to Addy being a more reliable walker so I can let her toddle along the paved trails a bit. I want to share a love of nature with her.

These parks are how I'm starting to shed my sedentary lifestyle, slowly but surely. I try to get out and do a minimum of 45 minutes hiking at least once a week. This week I've gotten out twice, for a 30 minute and then a 45 minute hike. Today I'm not going out because it's way too cold to drag myself and the kid out there. We'll see how the weather is tomorrow.

There are some absolutely beautiful spaces here in Central Ohio. If you're nearby, I urge you to check out at least one of the MetroParks. It's worth it, I promise.

No comments: