Thursday, April 18, 2013

The MetroParks Project

I keep getting asked why I've decided to hike all of the public hiking trails in the MetroParks system (except the Greenway Trails). Honestly, I have no idea why. I have always really loved the MetroPark system, and being outside is my best form of exercise. Not to mention I have a little kid who loves outside and all it entails.

I guess that's my reason, then. I want to be outside, I want my kid to be outside, and I want to show appreciation for the system in some small way.

I'm around 20% done with the just shy of 100 miles of public hiking trails.

I haven't set a deadline for completion because I never know for sure when I'm going to get a chance to pop out and hike a trail. It'd be my luck I'd be one trail from completion and it'd flood out or my car would break down or some other force beyond my control would make me miss the deadline.

So this is a life goal. The sooner I complete it, the better, but there will always be more.

Earlier this week the Buckeye Trail at Walnut Woods opened. Land was recently purchased for a new park just off of 104 a little south of where I currently live. New parks mean New Trails.

I'm still trying to find out about Rocky Fork.

As part of this project I've put together a little binder. I have printed maps of each park with a trail list that I can check off as I finish, and a pocket for a copy of the official maps available at the parks. I'm trying to figure out what other sort of data I want to accumulate throughout this project. Maybe once Addy is older we'll add a flora/fauna checklist or similar. Suggestions are very welcome on that topic.

There you have it. I want to hike them because I can. I want to collect some sort of data while doing so, but I haven't decided what that will be. I want to teach my kid to appreciate nature from a young age.

No comments: