Thursday, May 7, 2009

Deliveries and Caterers and Invites, oh my!

Delivery #2 showed up yesterday, as scheduled. So far, so good. Tomorrow should be the arrival of my invitations, followed by the RSVP cards on Monday. I still have to get envelopes for everything, but that's alright. The bags for my girls' gifts should be here sometime that week, too.

I know I'm harping on and on about waiting for UPS deliveries, but in all honesty, that's the only place where we're making progress. We're still at a stalemate with how to trim some of the cost with the caterer so we can afford it ourselves.

We have hit the first snag with invitations and guests, though. There are several people who have assumed they are invited that, due to our budget limitations, we can't invite. There are also several people we haven't spoken to since the engagement, since long before the engagement, that have asked where their invitations are. Nate and I made a rule when we agreed to our budget that we're only inviting people who are active in our lives. If it's someone we haven't even spoken to since high school, then we aren't inviting them. As much as we'd like to invite everyone we know, it just isn't reasonable for us at this time. Needless to say, it's frustrating to be pelted with emails and phone calls from people we figured didn't know about the engagement in the first place. Weird how something like a wedding makes people suddenly want to get back in contact.

Oh well. We've been kindly explaining to everyone our budget limitations and how we're doing a smaller, more intimate ceremony, and so far people seem to be OK with our replies to why they weren't invited. Next week when I send out invitations is when things are going to get *really* interesting, I think, since several of the people we're inviting are college friends who still live with roommates, and we aren't inviting the roommates we barely know. I know at least one of those people is the kind of drama queen who will take it as a personal insult and get offended and try to cause some sort of trouble. To be honest, I'm almost looking forward to it, just for the entertainment value.

No comments: